Monday, November 29, 2004

Welcome.

First and foremost, I am a hopeless nerd.

I study mechanical engineering, but that isn't the defining characteristic here. I like computers, I've done my fair share of hacking, I think my calculator is really cool, and I can remember the very first time I completed an electical circuit that did something, with a switch, two C batteries, and a small lightbulb. All that is well and good, but there's something else too.

See, this stuff I study here in school, I live this stuff. And therein lies the problem.

I drive down a road, and everything I see becomes a study in design and engineering. That traffic light post there? I wonder how thick it is. I wonder how much wind it was designed to withstand before it falls over. I wonder about how it's bolted to the ground, and how deep the concrete base goes. And this isn't even trying - these thoughts all occur within the space of a few seconds.

To those of you who know Bijan Sepahpour - yes, I was thinking of these things well before he brought up this example in class.

Perhaps you can kind of see where I'm going with this. I guess I'm in a fortunate position where I actually like most of the things I learn about. To the extent that I actually think about and apply these things in my free time. To put it bluntly, I'm fascinated by engineering and all that it entails.

So, since you've gotten this far, allow me a few more sentences. The point of this blog, not that it really matters to anyone other than myself, is to share the more interesting observations that I have. Things that are out-of-the-ordinary, that I think are especially salient or just kinda cool. I'll attempt to minimize the technobabble and jargon so that people outside my general sphere of information can sort of understand what I'm trying to say, but also to keep it light enough that those of you studying this stuff aren't too burnt out to maybe enjoy it as well.

I'll close with this: I can't help the way I think. I can't choose to ignore these things any more than you could choose at any given moment to simply forget your own name. It's a function of my education, my upbringing, and my outlook on life as a whole.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 Comments:

At January 18, 2005 at 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i'm the sameway and i'm old. engineering is cool,knowledge is power. if you know how something works, what it can,or is supposed to do you can make it wor for you and apply it to all kinds of stuff. wish i would have gotten a degree when i was young instead of quitting college because i already knew everything. ended up working construction (electrician) and learning from the school of yelling formans. when i look around i know what the thickness of the litepoles are because i had to set them.sometimes with a crane,sometimes with a bunch of loborers, sometimes with leverage and skills learned on the job by old ass's that jumped your crap if you didn't understand quick enough. old guys taught me alot including what not to do-never make a concrete base for a lite with old plywood and tie wire really messy and hard to clean up when it explodes under the weight of 2 yards of liquid concrete. funny as hell for me since i was only an apprentice but the journeyman who got fired didn't laugh-apprentices do the cleanup though
saw your CAD drawing on jeepin.com and wanted to help maybe tell ya where i screwed up doing mine way back before the turn of the century.but can't figure out how to get my jpeg images from my computer to the jeep talk message board. they only take jpg.
what can i say i'd rather be building something on the jeep or house than banging a keyboard. my e-mail address is raytarkington@sbcglobal.net i can e-mail you the jpeg's of my pivot points that i made. they work well and are actually cheaper than johnny joint's or heim joint, take mor labor to build and you end up only paying yourself 2$ hr but the education is free and life is about the road not the destination

 

Post a Comment

<< Home